The Institute for Local Government (www.cacities.org), located in Sacramento, CA, is seeking a half-time Program Coordinator to work in its civic engagement program area. The Institute is the nonprofit affiliate of the League of California Cities and the California Association of Counties. The Collaborative Governance Initiative, a program of the Institute, works with local officials to support effective and inclusive public engagement in local decision-making. Under the supervision of the CGI Program Director, the Program Coordinator will work with the Program Director and other ILG staff, local officials, collaborating organizations, and others to help ensure the program’s success. Position responsibilities include:
- Coordinating grant-funded and other CGI projects and activities as assigned;
- Marketing CGI resources, including the collection and write-up of civic engagement experiences/stories from around the state, as well as the general updating of CGI website and web-based materials;
- Researching, writing and editing articles, summaries, tip sheets and guides that are relevant to various practices and aspects of civic engagement/deliberative democracy;
- Responding to inquiries from local agencies and others about CGI and its resources;
- Assisting the Program Director with fundraising activities, including prospect research, inquiry letters, proposals and foundation reports;
- Maintaining a knowledge of other relevant, local civic engagement practices in the United States;
- Representing the program at assigned meetings, conferences, and workshops;
- Assisting in the development of the methodology used to evaluate the program’s effectiveness; and
- Carrying out other activities necessary to support the program.
The Institute is seeking an individual with the following qualifications and skills:
- Knowledge of civic engagement practices, with practical hands-on experience;
- A working knowledge of local government;
- Program coordination or management experience;
- Strong writing, verbal and interpersonal skills;
- Sound judgment and the ability to work independently as well as a part of a team;
- Organizational skills including the ability to juggle multiple tasks and meet deadlines;
- High proficiency with office applications including: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Acrobat. Internet abilities including advanced search techniques/expertise to gather online resources;
- Bilingual ability and experience working with community-based organizations is preferred; and
- Knowledge of online content management systems is also preferred
While the majority of the Program Coordinator’s time will be at the Institute office in Sacramento, some primarily in-state travel will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for the half-time Program Coordinator position will depend on the qualifications and
experience of the selected candidate but will fall within a $27,500-37,500 range. Employees enjoy an
excellent benefits package through the League of California Cities, including employee medical and
dental coverage, PERS and vacation and sick leave. This is presently a two-year grant-funded position.
Please submit, by email, mail or fax, a resume, writing sample and cover letter including salary history or
Institute for Local Government
Attention: Chantal Kurpiewski, CGI Program Assistant
1400 K Street, Suite 301
Sacramento, CA 95814
This position is open until filled. For questions, please call or email Chantal Kurpiewski at 916.658.8208.