NCDD member Adrienne Dessel has asked us to invite all NCDD members to the Intergroup Dialogue National Institute from June 16-19, 2010 at the Four Points Sheraton hotel in Ann Arbor, Michigan, hosted by the University of Michigan’s Program on Intergroup Relations. The Institute is designed for faculty and staff who are interested in expanding and assessing intergroup dialogue programs already in place or are interested in starting one at their institutions. We hope that you and/or others from your institution or program can participate in the upcoming institute. The goals of the Institute are to:
- Participate in engaging activities commonly used in intergroup dialogue settings
- Explore the overall dialogue framework and The Michigan Model
- Strategize the development and support of academic and co-curricular programs
While we will engage in interactive activities, the purpose of this Institute is to demonstrate the curriculum and structure of intergroup dialogue. Facilitator and “train the trainer” workshops are not included as part of this Institute.
In addition to the Institute, we will be offering a pre-Institute workshop focusing on religion dialogues. This workshop is recommended for campuses considering focusing on this specific dialogue topic area. It is also recommended for those campuses with a religious base and/or campuses that are currently experiencing tension between academia and faith perspectives. The pre-Institute workshop is free to registered Institute participants and will include the following highlights:
- A keynote speaker who will discuss interfaith issues and dialogues
- A panel of diverse, local interfaith leaders engaged in interfaith dialogue
- Exposure to various experiential activities unique to religion dialogues
When you register, you will have the option to register for the pre-Institute workshop as well.
Registration, as well as, housing information can be found at http://www.conferences.housing.umich.edu/igr/. More information about the national institute is available at http://www.igr.umich.edu/about/institute.