Job Opening at the Study Circles Resource Center
SCRC is looking for a full-time Deputy Communication Director. They?re seeking a highly organized self-starter with strong writing, problem-solving, publishing, and Web skills. The Deputy will report directly to the Communication Director and will draw on experience and knowledge of public relations to assist her to develop and implement the organization's comprehensive communication plans. The Deputy will be detail-oriented and able to balance multiple tasks to support communication functions through research, writing, production and maintenance of the Web site and e-letters, media relations, and general administrative office duties. The Deputy will help the Communication Director collect stories from study circle programs around the country and convey them in a variety of media.
- Write and edit articles for Web site, internal newsletters, and other publications.
- Manage and support the organizational Web site, including the monthly e-letter.
- Develop and maintain database for tracking marketing and outreach; provide timely reporting.
- Create and update marketing materials.
- Research and update media lists; manage media database; draft press releases, and assist in coordinating media outreach.
- Make presentations at conferences and workshops.
- Provide administrative support to communication team.
Relevant skills and experience:
- Bachelor's degree; minimum 3-5 years in public relations or communications.
- Strong writing, editing, personal communication, and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Web site design and maintenance; working knowledge of HTML, and Adobe Go-Live or Dreamweaver, PhotoShop, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Desktop publishing; familiarity with QuarkXPress or PageMaker.
- Exceptional data management skills; experience with ACCESS and Excel a plus.
- Ability to recognize creative marketing opportunities through technology as well as print.
- Experience in managing projects, meeting deadlines and keeping track of details.
- Interest in public affairs and in strengthening opportunities for everyday citizens to play a meaningful role in public issues.
- Ability to relate to people from all walks of life.
The Deputy Communication Director will work out of SCRC headquarters in Pomfret, Conn. (45 minutes from Providence, R.I., and 1 hour from Hartford, Conn.). Some travel required. Salary and benefits are competitive with other nonprofit organizations. The position includes opportunity for advancement.
SCRC is actively seeking candidates of diverse backgrounds.
To apply, send hard copy (no faxes) of résumé and two brief writing samples to:
Deputy Communication Director
Study Circles Resource Center
PO Box 203, Pomfret, CT 06258
Tel: 860.928.2616 x23
The Study Circles Resource Center (SCRC) is one of the nation?s leading civic organizations. We help communities organize for large-scale, diverse, face-to-face dialogue and action on critical social and political issues. We are a project of the Topsfield Foundation, Inc., a private, nonprofit, nonpartisan foundation that is dedicated to advancing deliberative democracy and improving the quality of public life in the United States.