Loka Institute Seeks Full-time National Coordinator
With funding from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the Loka Institute has a position available and is seeking qualified candidates to submit resumes for National Coordinator. The position will remain open until filled. Office is currently in Washington D.C, but location is negotiable. Review of applications will begin June 21, with a target start date of July 15, 2004.
The Loka Institute is a non-profit research and advocacy organization concerned with the social, political, and environmental repercussions of research, science and technology. Loka works to make science and technology more responsive to social and environmental concerns by expanding opportunities for grassroots, public-interest group, everyday citizen, and worker involvement in vital facets of research, science and technology decision making, advocacy and implementation. Click below for the full job description.
Loka is seeking a high energy candidate with entrepreneurial spirit and
strong organizing skills and a commitment to social justice to fill its
primary staff position as National Coordinator.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The National Coordinator (NC) is responsible for
the day-to-day administrative operation of the organization as well as
the development and expansion of its programs and networks. The NC will
perform a variety of skilled administrative and clerical duties directly
related to program management activities. These include maintaining
financial records, maintaining databases, preparing routine
correspondence, respond to stakeholdersˇ¦ needs; and assisting and
participating in project events. The NC works in partnership with the
Loka Board of Trustees, organization network partners,
consultant/trainers/speakers, to develop a shared vision and plan for
organizational growth, development of additional capacity, and
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
1. Working in concert with the Board, enhance the sustainability of the
organization by developing and implementing a comprehensive 3-year
funding plan that will support the organizationˇ¦s vision.
2. Coordination of the following administrative systems: Financial
records, Computer and database entry, Office files and systems
3. General receptionist; answering phones, typing, preparing letters,
filing, Supervise webmaster.
4. Coordinates staffing, and logistics of workshops
5. Provide excellent customer service and marketing with responsiveness,
timeliness, and professionalism
6. Report preparation
7. Some travel may be required.
8. Other duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND ABILITIES NEEDED:
- Demonstrated experience organizing others, building unity among
diverse groups, and mobilizing others to take action.
- Demonstrated experience in fund development and organization
- Ability to organize, direct, and prioritize multiple activities
simultaneously and work independently
- Ability to recruit, assess, coordinate services and retain target
- Ability to listen and identify common ground.
- Ability to convene and facilitate meetings.
- Ability to train and develop leaders as part of an organizing
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work independently within the context of an overall plan
- Ability and desire to work collaboratively as part of a team. ?X Organizational and administrative skills as well as basic computer
Salary Range: Salary commensurate with experience and skills in a range
from $35,000 - $50,000.
Benefits: Full health coverage and four weeks of vacation, and sick leave Target Start Date: Review of applications will begin June 21, with a
target start date of July 15, 2004.
Applications: Email resume with cover letter highlighting your
qualifications and interest in the position and three references to:
Or mail to:
The Loka Institute
660 Pennsylvania Ave SE
Suite 302, Washington, DC 20003.
For More information about Loka, visit our website at: www.loka.org
The Loka Institute is committed to social justice and partners with
grassroots communities domestically and abroad, and therefore encourages
applications from women, people of color, and people with disabilities.